Loyola University New Orleans has two full time athletic trainers on staff to serve the needs of our student athletes. The department contracts with Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine (TISM) for athletic training coverage for the entire sports year. An athletic trainer will be at all home contests. In addition, a TISM athletic trainer is at the Loyola University Sports Complex each day for treatment and rehabilitation.
Each student-athlete is required to have a physical examination, given by our team physicians before they can participate in any game or practice. These physical exams are arranged by each team’s head coach, are free to Loyola University athletes and are good for one year. Permission must be obtained from the athletic trainer if other arrangements are made to be given clearance to compete.
- Decisions regarding athletic injuries and health of athletes are made by Loyola team physicians or in the absence thereof, the athletic trainer, who determines when the athlete may return to activity and prescribe the level of activity allowed.
- All injuries must be reported to a coach or the athletic trainer as soon as possible.
- Athletes should report any and all medications being taken before being administered to by the athletic trainer or team physician. Additionally, team members should never share prescription drugs with teammates or other athletes.
- Do not modify or remove protective gear, pads, etc., prescribed by team physicians or the athletic trainer without clearance from those individuals.
- Do not try to “self treat” any injury not examined by team physicians or the athletic trainer.
- Athletes should not enter the training room without the permission of a coach or the athletic trainer and should refrain from obtaining any training supplies or operating any therapeutic equipment without such permission.
Click here for the training room hours
Back to the Student Athlete Handbook »