MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Loyola University men’s and women’s tennis teams dropped their matches to Spring Hill in the first round of the 2012 Southern States Athletic Conference Championship on Thursday. The Wolfpack men finished the season at 3-8, while the women finished at 4-8. Spring Hill improves to 6-6 and the women to 8-3 with the win.
“Both teams have come a long way in terms of skill and experience,” Loyola head coach Zubin Engineer said. “If they keep working hard like they have been all year long, I am sure we will improve next year.”
In doubles play, the Loyola men would take two of the three matches to earn the first two points of the afternoon. Brian Peña and Joshua Laviolette picked up a quick, but close win for the ‘Pack, topping Burke DeFraites and Haden Cotton 8-6. The no. 2 team of Matthew Farnham and Devon Belcher also competed in a close match with Meyer Schwartzberg and Jacob Neu; however, the Farnham and Belcher secured the match at a score of 8-6.
The Wolfpack men entered singles play with a 2-1 advantage. No. 1 seed Devon Belcher played extremely well against DeFraites of Spring Hill. Belcher easily took the match 6-0 and 6-1. After LU dropped the next two singles matches, the score was tied at 3-3. Farnham fought off Spring Hill’s Haden Cotton 6-1 and 6-1 to put the ‘Pack up by a point. However, the Badgers would take the final two singles matches, earning the 5-4 victory.
The women got off to a rough start dropping all three doubles matches to the Badgers. The Wolfpack’s no. 1 seed, Meghan deBaroncelli, played her opponent, Shelby Fritscher, extremely tight. Despite her efforts, deBaroncelli fell 6-3 and 6-0. Sophomore Chelsea Keene picked up LU’s win over Spring Hill in an extremely close match. After falling in the first set 2-6, Keene bounced back defeating Megan Gietl in the second set 6-4 to force a third set which she won soundly 1-0 (10-4).
1. Brian Peña/Joshua Laviolette (LU) def. Burke DeFraites/Haden Cotton (SHC) 8-6
2. Matthew Farnham/Devon Belcher (LU) def. Meyer Schwartzberg/Jacob Neu (SHC) 8-6
3. Jake Lyons/Joshua Schultz (SHC) def. Tony Benjamin/Eduardo Garcia (LUNO) 8-3
1. Devon Belcher (LU) def. Burke DeFraites (SHC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Jacob Neu (SHC) def. Brian Pena (LU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Joshua Schultz (SHC) def. Joshua Laviolette (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Matthew Farnham (LU) def. Haden Cotton (SHC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jake Lyons (SHC) def. Eduardo Garcia (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Meyer Schwartzberg (SHC) def. Tony Benjamin (LU) 6-1, 6-1
Spring Hill 5, Loyola 4
1. Shelby Fritscher/Tara Montegut (SHC) def. Meghan DeBaroncelli/Frances Bonnin (LU) 8-4
2. Elise Michaelis/McCall Hedrick (SHC) def. Katie Beargie/Cristiana Krtalic (LU) 8-2
3. Maggie Leeds/Monica Castello (SHC) def. Alexandra Chater/Chelsea Keene (LU) 8-0
1. Shelby Fritscher (SHC) def. Meghan DeBaroncelli (LU) 6-3, 6-0
2. McCall Hedrick (SHC) def. Katie Beargie (LU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Tara Montegut (SHC) def. Frances Bonnin (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Elise Michaelis (SHC) def. Caitlyn Chambers (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Monica Castello (SHC) def. Cristiana Krtalic (LU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Chelsea Keene (LU) def. Megan Gietl (SHC) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
Loyola 1, Spring Hill 8