Student Athlete Code of Conduct
This code of conduct is intended to provide guidelines for the establishment of standards of conduct for student-athletes who are participating in intercollegiate athletics at Loyola University New Orleans. This code does not cover every ethical question or every possible situation that may arise. However, good faith and common sense should govern decision-making processes and ethical behavior should prevail. Your own personal integrity and good judgment are essential for proper conduct becoming of a member of this athletic department and a student of this university. The athletic department reserves the right to impose any penalties or disciplinary actions for those student-athletes who do not take responsibility and ownership of the “Wolf Pack Code of Conduct.” Student athletes should also be familiar with the University Student Handbook.
- Student-athletes share a commitment that all student-athletes are held accountable to a higher standard. The focus is that each athlete is a role model and a leader among their peers in their attitudes and behavior both on and off the playing field. The commitment to excellence requires a standard beyond tolerable acceptance to achieve leadership.
- Student-athletes shall exhibit a serious commitment to the academic mission of their university and their academic endeavors. The first obligation of every athlete at Loyola University New Orleans is to meet all academic responsibilities and to accept responsibility for all required class work.
- Student-athletes shall behave in a manner that exemplifies honesty and sportsmanship at all times in order to represent the honor and dignity of fair play expected of Loyola athletes and exhibit the five core principles of integrity, respect, responsibility, sportsmanship, and servant leadership.
- Student-athletes should promote good sportsmanship at all times in practice and in competition. Respect for self, teammates, coaches, administrators, officials and opponents is to be shown. Athletes are to refrain from disrespectful conduct including verbal abuse, profane or belligerent “trash talking”, taunting and unseemly celebrations.
- Student-athletes are not to consume or possess alcoholic beverages at any time or place while they are in the charge of the coaching staff. This includes from the the first official day of practice until the end of the sport season. The consumption of alcohol by underage (under the age of 21) student-athletes is prohibited by Louisiana law. Student-athletes who are of legal age are to refrain from drinking during the season, university banquets and recruiting visits. Student-athletes are strongly encouraged to refrain from drinking alcohol in any form at any time. NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE, NEVER GET INTO A VEHICLE WITH A DRIVER WHO HAS BEEN DRINKING, AND/OR NEVER LET A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN DRINKING DRIVE!
- Student-athletes who encourage the use of alcohol by hosting parties in their residence hall, apartment or house while they are in the charge of the coaching staff are liable to sanction. All athletes who reside in such domiciles may be considered hosts and liable to sanction.
- Student-athletes should understand that “hazing” is an act that endangers the mental and physical health and/or safety of a fellow student or teammate. Athletes must be committed not to participate in nor encourage such activities. Hazing of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Student-athletes should embrace proper rest and nutrition. Careful attention should be paid to diet. While late hours unrelated to academic pursuits are not acceptable.
- Student-athletes should be prompt for practices, meetings, team departures and other team or department events as a matter of courtesy to all others concerned. Attendance at all team functions is mandatory. An athlete must be excused by a member of the staff in advance of a team function.
- Student-athletes are to refrain from using chewing tobacco, dipping or smoking at any time or place while in the charge of the coaching staff. Additionally, athletes should not engage in these activities anywhere on the campus of Loyola University New Orleans.
- Student-athletes who possess, distribute or use illegal drugs are subject to the policies and procedures as set forth in the “Drug Use and Testing Policy” section of this handbook.
- Student-athletes must realize that personal and team morale are vital ingredients to success. Every athlete is expected to be a positive influence in achieving team goals. The goals of the team are to be placed above all else. If individual differences work against the spirit of cooperation, every effort should be made by the individual and/or team members to create an atmosphere of TEAMWORK!
* Penalties/Sanctions: Violation of these policies may result in reprimand, required counseling, suspension for a specific period, indefinite suspension or dismissal from the athletic program.
Back to the Student Athlete Handbook »